Vicky Lord is a partner in our Litigation, Restructuring and Insolvency team. Her practice focuses on serving the needs of both professional and lay clients in relation to offshore law.
Vicky has a wide breadth of experience as an advocate in cross-border jurisdictional commercial matters, from insolvency to shareholder disputes, both led and acting alone, in the BVI Commercial Court and Court of Appeal and has also appeared in the Privy Council in London. She has particular expertise in high-value, high-profile commercial offshore disputes with cross-border elements, where she has acted for clients with considerable success. She counts some of the world's best known financial institutions, blue-chip listed companies and ultra-high net worth individuals amongst her client base. She is listed as a next generation lawyer for offshore in Legal 500 and as an asset recovery specialist in Who's Who Legal 2018 and 2019.
In addition to her company law and insolvency experience, Vicky also has particular expertise in high value contentious trusts and probate litigation, where she has acted for trustees, beneficiaries and third parties across a range of complex disputes.
Vicky is a past winner of the Client Choice Award for offshore services and is a member of the Chancery Bar Association. She is comfortable advising in French and in Spanish as well as in English, and has a good level of Portuguese and Italian comprehension.
Vicky has played an instrumental role advising on a number of insolvency, enforcement and commercial litigation matters, including:
- Acting as lead partner in an ancillary BVI proceeding to a GBP750 million United Kingdom claim.
- Acting for PwC, as joint provisional liquidators of Natural Dairy, a HK listed Cayman company in relation to a fraud dispute.
- Acting on behalf of creditors in relation to application to wind up Wise Global Limited.
- Acting for a consortium of investors, including Deutsche Bank and ABN AMRO in the USD 1.45 billion Fairfield Sentry litigation stemming from the Madoff fraud and successfully resisting BVI claims.
- Successfully assisting Singaporean foreign representatives to obtain advance disclosure for a wide-ranging asset tracing in a fraud.
- Enforcement in the BVI of an award from the London Court of International Arbitration.
- Advising a major Russian oil company with respect to the enforcement of arbitral award.
- Acting as an expert witness in arbitration proceedings in relation to BVI law.
- Advising Trina Solar Limited in s.238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
- Advising JA Solar Holdings in s.238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
Vicky also has considerable experience advising on contentious trusts matters, including:
- Lead partner in a highly contentious trusts disclosure claims in BVI: Tchenguiz v Rawlinson & Hunter as Trustee of the Tchenguiz Family Trust & Anor.
- Acting as the sole advocate in a successful application for restoration of trust property for a Russian Oligarch.
- Acting for the second wife and family with regard to an ongoing dispute concerning entitlement under a BVI Trust.
- Acting for a Cayman Trustee in various Beddoe applications.
- Successfully acting for a Latin American heiress in a contentious probate and trust claim.
- Acting for a tycoon in relation to the ownership of very valuable shares in a BVI company.
Vicky has been recognised as a next generation BVI lawyer.Legal 500
Vicky is recognised as an expert in asset recovery.Who's Who Legal, 2018, 2019
Vicky is recognised as a GIR "thought leader".Who’s Who Legal, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Vocational Course)
- University College London (LLB)