Theodoros Zafiropoulos is a partner in our Banking and Finance practice in our Cyprus office. He regularly acts for multilateral financial institutions, international and domestic banks, private equity funds and corporate borrowers in banking and corporate finance matters.
Prior to joining us in 2017, Theodoros worked at Norton Rose Fulbright in London, Moscow, Amsterdam (on secondment with ING Bank working on the front desk of its oil and gas desk for Europe and the CIS) and Athens. He has extensive experience working with financial institutions and borrowers on restructuring and work-out arrangements, group refinancing transactions and monitoring problem loans. Theodoros also specialises in project finance and energy, advising international oil and gas companies, governments, national oil companies and lenders on major energy transactions. Theodoros also advises on intellectual property law in Cyprus.
Theodoros is a member of the International Bar Association, the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators and the Hellenic Russian Chamber of Commerce, where he previously served on the board of directors before relocating to Cyprus.
Theodoros’ recent experience includes:
- Advising Alpha Bank A.E. and a syndicate of banks on Cyprus law matters relating to a €30 million wind park financing extended to Aioliki Energeiaki Achladotopos Anonimi Eteria.
Advising National Bank of Greece on Cyprus law matters relating to security arrangements under a €134 million financing.
- Acting for Alpha Bank A.E. on all Cyprus law matters relating to the Trikorfo wind farm financing.
- Acting for EBRD on a complex €21.5 million equity investment whereby EBRD is acquiring a 35 per cent shareholding in a Cypriot company (the JV) which in turn will acquire and develop commercial real estate and hospitality projects in Greece. Work covers all Cyprus law matters relating to: (a) the JV arrangements with Dimand S.A, a prominent real estate developer in Greece and Romania; (b) the subscription and equity contribution by EBRD to the JV; and (c) the due diligence and issue of a red flag report on the JV and three more separate Cypriot entities.
- Acting for Grivalia Hospitality S.A., the Luxembourg-based subsidiary of Grivalia Properties REIC focusing in the hospitality sector, on all Cyprus law matters leading to the signing of a binding pre-agreement and related security documents for the acquisition of the "Asteria' complex in the Athens Riviera.
- Acting for Black Sea Trade & Development Bank on a €10 million financing to a Cypriot entity, including undertaking a corporate due diligence exercise on the Cypriot borrower.
Theodoros has the "ability to understand Russian business and to match it with the demands of Western clients."Chambers Global
Theodoros is ranked as a “rising star”.IFLR 1000, 2019
Theodoros is a recommended lawyer.The Best Lawyers in Russia
- England and Wales (not practising)
- University of Warwick (LLM)
- University of Athens (LLB)