Mirza ManrajSenior Associate
Investment Funds & Regulatory
Expertise and Professional Background
Mirza is a member of the firm’s Investment Funds and Regulatory Practice Group. He represents retail and institutional clients on all aspects of British Virgin Islands financial services law. Mirza also has a good working knowledge of the regulatory regimes in the other jurisdictions where Harneys maintains a financial services practice.
On the investment funds front, Mirza predominately acts for one of the firm’s largest funds clients covering a variety of regulatory type applications, frequently liaising with regulators and foreign counsel in other jurisdictions where the client operates its business.
Mirza represents and act for clients on matters that are both contentious and non-contentious. Some of his main regulatory practice areas include:
- tax information exchange matters involving the International Tax Authority, with a primary focus on matters originating under the Mutual Legal Assistance (Tax Matters) Act, 2003;
- investigations, corporate crime and fraud involving the Financial Investigations Agency, on matters surrounding the Criminal Justice (International Co-Operation) Act, 1993 and the Proceeds of Criminal Conduct Act, 1997, in addition to anti-money laundering matters;
- securities and investment business (for example: dealing, arranging, managing, advising, custody and administrator services in or from within the British Virgin Islands) under SIBA;
- banking and trust company business under the Banks and Trust Companies Act, 1990 and the Company Management Act, 1990;
- finance and money services business under the Financing and Money Services Act, 2009;
- FATCA and various other global common reporting standards as relevant to tax matters in relation to the Inter-Governmental Agreements and Conventions that government has entered into;
- financial and economic sanctions imposed under various imperial legislation and the impact on the Overseas Territories of the United Kingdom; and
- insurance matters under the Insurance Act, 2008 and the Insurance Regulations, 2009.
Mirza is listed as a “rising star” in the British Virgin Islands by IFLR 1000.
He is a past member of the British Virgin Islands Bar Council and is a full member of the Bar Association.
Hugh Wooding Law School (Legal Education Certificate) 2008
University of Guyana (LLB) 2006
University of Guyana (BA) 2003
British Virgin Islands 2008
Trinidad and Tobago 2009 (not practising)
Hong Kong 2016 (Recognition as a Foreign Lawyer)
IFLR 1000, 2017: Mirza is listed as a “rising star” in the British Virgin Islands and is described as "excellent and technically very strong".
IFLR 1000, 2018: Mirza is listed as a “rising star” in the British Virgin Islands.