Marco MartinsManaging Partner
Cayman and The Americas
Expertise and Professional Background
Marco Martins is Head of both Harneys' Cayman Islands office and its Americas Group, which stretches from North America to South America, where the firm has offices in Sao Paulo, Montevideo and Vancouver. His practice encompasses all aspects of corporate, banking and finance related disciplines, with a particular focus on the establishment and on-going advising of banks, investment funds and other financial vehicles.
Marco has particular expertise in the following areas:
- Structuring, registering and on-going maintenance of Cayman hedge funds
- Structuring, licensing and on-going maintenance of Cayman banks, including restricted and unrestricted Class B banks
- Advising financial institutions, ranging from major global banks to investment managers, broker, administrator and custodians, on a wide range of corporate and regulatory matters
- Assisting clients, both corporate and HNW individuals, in emerging markets to make optimal use of offshore vehicles in structuring their global businesses and wealth
- Assisting intermediaries in managing global transactions and matters, including liaising with financial professionals, including accountants, counsel, fiduciaries and other service providers in the structuring and on-going advising of complex multi-jurisdictional projects for individuals and corporate entities.
He speaks fluent Spanish, Portuguese and Italian and is recognized for his approachable and accessible trusted and expert counsel. Marco is recommended by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 in the Cayman Islands.
Syracuse University College of Law (JD) 1994
Syracuse University (MA) 1994
New York 1996
England and Wales 2007
Cayman Islands 2010
Chambers and Partners: Marco is described as “knowledgeable, attentive, client-driven,” and is recognised for his experience of South American markets and clients. He advises on the setting up, structuring and regulation of alternative investment funds. Clients say he is “very professional, always looks for the best options available and is a problem solver”.
IFLR 1000: Marco is consistently recommended and noted as being “responsive and resourceful”. He is described as being an “innovator, representing banks in the development and application of novel products and structures” and recommended as a “leading lawyer” in both Cayman and Uruguay.
IFLR 1000: Marco is listed as a “highly regarded lawayer” in the IFLR 1000 rankings 2018.
Legal 500: Marco is recommended as a leading lawyer in their Cayman rankings. He is described as a lawyer with a “remarkable approach to growing a firm, knowledge of the law and client service ethos” and as one who “focuses on the important details, while not losing sight of the big picture and relevant deadlines and priorities”.