Banking & Finance
Expertise and Professional Background
His work includes real estate finance, project finance, acquisition finance, securitisations and structured finance, subscription finance, M&As, corporate governance, corporate reorganisations, asset and company sales, loan transfers and insolvency and, restructurings and enforcements.
Prior to joining Harneys in 2011, Hamish worked in the London office of DLA Piper and was seconded to Barclays Bank.
Hamish is recommended by Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000 and Who’s Who Legal.
Hamish’s recent experience includes:
- Acting as BVI counsel to Redefine International P.L.C. (a listed FTSE 250 UK REIT) on the purchase of the AUK Portfolio of commercial properties from the Aegon UK Property Fund and the connected debt financing from the HSBC Bank plc lead syndicate.
- Advising the sellers on the BVI law aspects of its sale of the Atlas Hotels Group.
- Acting as BVI counsel to the HSBC Bank plc and Royal Bank of Scotland plc lead syndicate and note holders on the £1.1 billion sale by Brandeux to the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board of the Liberty Living property management portfolio (the largest UK private student accommodation provider consisting of 41 properties mainly held by BVI SPVs).
- Advising on the BVI aspects of VTB Bank’s US$3.9 billion facilities to the Essar Group, an Indian based oil, energy and mining conglomerate group.
- Acting for Standard Bank on the BVI law elements of the project financing of the Kinangop Wind Park in Kenya, the largest wind park investment in sub-Saharan Africa and the first renewable energy commercial project in East Africa.
- Advising the lenders and bond underwriters on the BVI law elements of the financing, and the subsequent US$800 million senior secured notes refinancing, of the acquisition of the FESCO Group (a leading Russian transportation and logistics group) by the Summa Group.
- Acting as BVI counsel on the work out of a defaulted loan to a 45 billion rouble Russian energy fund and the connected transfer of shares in a Russian financial group.
- Advising the BVI registered agent on the US$1.6 billion refinancing and redemption of the shares in Cukurova from Alfa Telecom Turkey’s security, as part of the redemption procedure approved by the UK Privy Council for the long running and much publicised Alfa v Cukurova litigation.
- Acting as BVI counsel to the TMF Group Holding B.V. (a global outsourced business service provider which includes the largest BVI based corporate service provider) on its €645 million note issuance, and subsequent syndicated loan refinancing, of its acquisition of another BVI based corporate services provider.
- Advising Lone Star on the BVI law elements of its purchase from the special liquidator of the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited (formerly Anglo Irish Bank) of a €7.3 billion portfolio of non-performing commercial real estate loans.
BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course) 2003
England & Wales 2005 (not practising)
British Virgin Islands 2011
Chambers and Partners: Hamish attracts widespread praise for his work. One source states: “He does an excellent job, delivers to timescales in a cost-effective manner, and is very well organised. He acts like a partner, to be honest. We trust him with very big deals.” Hamish has also been described “one of the best associates in the jurisdiction.”
IFLR 1000, 2017: Hamish is listed as a “rising star” in the British Virgin Islands. A client singled him out for his “exceptional attention to detail and high level of responsiveness on often time-sensitive matters,” adding that he has “first-class client service and matter management”.
Who's Who Legal: Hamish is recognised as being amongst the world’s leading banking lawyers.