George WestonSenior Associate
Corporate & Commercial
Expertise and Professional Background
George Weston is a senior associate in Harneys’ Corporate and Commercial practice. He advises on all aspects of BVI corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, downstream private equity investments, joint ventures, public and private share offerings, takeovers and corporate reorganisations for clients within a wide range of industry sectors across the globe.
George has particular expertise working with leading law firms and private equity investors on cross-border corporate acquisitions and joint ventures with a technology or real estate element.
- Acting as BVI legal counsel on the January 2016 merger of third-party logistics companies UTi Worldwide Inc and DSV, at $1.2 billion one of the largest takeovers of a publicly listed BVI company.
- Advising a BVI incorporated e-commerce firm on its sale for approximately $600 million.
- Representing the existing owner of a hotel chain on the disposal of 51% of its shares to create a BVI joint venture with a potential value of more than $800 million.
- Advised the global private investment firm Starwood Capital Group, a leading international private equity firm, on BVI aspects of its US$250 million strategic investment in the hotel chain YOTEL.
- Advising LeniGas Cuba Limited on its reverse takeover of Knowlton Capital Inc by way of a BVI scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Road Town Wholesale Trading Ltd, a BVI-based retail and wholesale conglomerate, on the acquisition of 76.1 per cent of its issued shares by a wholly owned subsidiary of The North West Company Inc for a purchase price of approximately $32 million. The deal is believed to be the largest-ever M&A transaction involving a company operating and trading domestically in the BVI.
- Representing an investor on a series of portfolio investments and divestments of UK property held through BVI companies and related financing arrangements held through BVI holding companies for a total value of more than GBP 200 million.
- Advised Hyatt Hotels Corporation, the internationally renowned hotel chain in relation to the acquisition of preferred shares (and related joint venture arrangements) in a BVI company owning a major hotel and resort in Latin America in a transaction valued at more than $100 million.
College of Law of England & Wales (LPC) 2008
Southampton Solent University (Graduate Diploma in Law) 2007
University of Southampton (BA) 2006
England & Wales 2010 (not practicing)
British Virgin Islands 2015
Legal 500: George is ranked by Legal 500 as a Next Generation Lawyer in the British Virgin Islands.