Expertise and Professional Background
Ellie Crespi is a partner in Harneys’ Hong Kong office where she advises on British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands law. She is a member of the firm’s Finance & Corporate departments and the Asia Restructuring Unit.
Ellie advises leading onshore law firms, major international financial institutions and listed and private companies. She specialises in debt and equity financing and has advised on LBOs, margin financings, pre-export credit finance deals, credit derivative swaps, takeover financings, IPOs, take-private financings, aircraft and ship finance deals, s144 and Reg S bond issuances, MTN programmes, convertible bonds, acquisition finance, property finance and general corporate lending. Ellie also advises on financial and corporate restructurings and general corporate matters including special offshore products such as statutory mergers and continuations.
Ellie has experience in both established and emerging markets. Prior to joining Harneys in January 2013, Ellie worked in the banking team at Allen & Overy in Moscow and Hong Kong and at Cameron McKenna London and Moscow.
Ellie Crespi is a contributor to Bermuda Commercial Law, the authoritative guide to Bermuda’s commercial laws. She is recommended by Legal 500 Asia Pacific who describe her as being "extremely responsive and adaptable".
Ellie’s most recent experience includes:
- Acting acted as Cayman Islands counsel for ENN Energy China Investment alongside Sullivan and Cromwell in relation to ENN's $652 million subscription for equity interest in Sinopec Marketing
- Advising China Development Bank, shareholder of Alibaba Group Holdings Limited, on the sale of its equity investment in the historic US$25 billion IPO of Alibaba
- Advising the finance parties and onshore counsel Allen & Overy Singapore on BVI law matters in relation to an acquisition finance facility in relation to the proposed take-private of Archipelago Resources plc, a publicly held company listed on AIM, by its majority shareholder, PT Rajawali Corporation
- Acting as BVI counsel to Greenland Global Investment Limited and its onshore counsel Davis Polk in connection with the establishment of its US$3 billion medium term note programme and the issuance of US$500m notes thereunder
- Advising the joint bookrunners and mandated lead arrangers Bank of China, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Credit Agricole, HSBC, ING, Mizuho, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, RBS, SMBC, UO and their Hong Kong counsel Linklaters in relation to British Virgin Islands matters in connection with a HK$10 billion loan facility for IFC Development Corporate Finance Limited
- Acting as British Virgin Islands counsel to Goldman Sachs and its English law counsel Slaughter & May in connection with the US$613,000,000 refinancing of three sets of notes secured against put options written by Danone SA over the shares of a Cyprus joint venture company
- Acting as BVI counsel to Camden Market Holdings Corp. and its English law advisors Fladgates LLP in relation to a GBP255million group refinancing provided by Nomura involving thirteen BVI group obligors and a connected solvent corporate restructuring introducing four new BVI group companies
- Advising UTi Worldwide on instruction from Cravath, Swaine & Moore, New York in respect of UTi’s issuance of preferred shares and convertible notes. Morgan Stanley and CitiGroup Global Markets, represented by David Polk & Wardwell, New York, provided financial advisory services to UTi in connection with the transactions
- Advising Citigroup and its English law counsel, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, on matters of British Virgin Islands law in respect of the restructuring of an equity financing transaction. Citi participated in the financing as CDS counterparty
University of Oxford (MA) 2003
London College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Law) 2004
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (Legal Practice Course) 2005
England and Wales 2008
Hong Kong 2012
British Virgin Islands 2014
Ellie is recommended by Legal 500 in their Asia Pacific rankings. She is recognised for being "extremely responsive and adaptable" and is singled out for being "remarkable" by clients.