Maggie Kwok has a broad range of experience spanning from fund formation, downstream investments, capital markets and corporate finance.
Maggie's practice has a particular focus on formation, structuring and maintenance of various types of open ended and close ended funds including hedge funds and private equity funds. She works extensively with hedge fund and private equity managers, family offices, banks, fund administrators, custodians and investors.
Maggie's fluency in the Chinese language (both Putonghua and Cantonese), familiarity with both the Western and Chinese business etiquette and culture, along with her solid training with leading onshore and offshore firms, allow her to tailor her services to meet the needs of clients in this region.
Maggie was recognised as one of the top ten offshore lawyers operating in Asia by Asian Legal Business in its Offshore Client Choice List in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
Maggie has been admitted to practise law in the British Virgin Islands, England and Wales, Hong Kong, Australia (New South Wales) and New Zealand.
Prior to joining the offshore world in 2010, Maggie practised for several years as a Hong Kong lawyer at international law firms including Slaughter and May.
Some of Maggie’s recent experience includes:
- Advising a Macau SOE in respect of their investment into a private equity fund (structured as a Cayman Islands exempted limited partnership) with a fund size of US$1 billion. The fund’s investment strategy consists of making capital investments to advance the “One Belt, One Road” investment strategy of the PRC government
- Advising a leading PRC insurance group in respect of the launch of two private equity funds and one feeder vehicle (all structured as Cayman exempted limited partnerships) with a total fund size of US$785 million
- Advising a leading PRC-based VC client in respect of the launch of a private equity fund (structured as a Cayman Islands exempted limited partnership) with a fund size of US$500 million
- Advising a PRC SOE in respect of the launch of an unregulated hedge fund (structured as a Cayman exempted limited company) with a fund size of HK$3 billion
- Advising a leading PRC alternative investment fund manager focused on the PRC market with over US$17 billion of assets under management to set up two master-feeder funds
- Advising a PRC based manager on the set up a unit trust fund and a standalone corporate fund for with fund sizes Euros 500 million and US$500 million respectively
- Advising a NYSE listed top tier wealth and asset management service provider in China on the set up of a Cayman partnership fund. As of the end of 2018, this client had an AUM of more than US$24 billion
- Advising a PRC investment group on the set up of a HK$1.6 billion Cayman Islands partnership fund investing into a HKSE Main Board issuer which is also a PRC joint stock company
- Advising a top alternative asset manager, a pioneer in the nascent Chinese credit market, on its various fund set ups including ones with a bond-focused strategy that feed into their master fund with an AUM of US$700 million
- Advising a leading PRC bank on the setup of a Cayman partnership with a total commitment of US$700 million which funded the purchase of a gaming company by Tencent from Softbank Group
- Advising one of the largest PRC asset managers on the set up of various investment funds as part of their Cayman SPC platform totaling an AUM of US$350 million
- Advising a Shenzhen based investment group on the set up of a US$300 million Cayman Islands partnership fund, a parallel structure to an existing RMB fund, investing into private companies
- Advising a high profile SOE on the subscription of a US$100m convertible bonds issued by a Main Board Issuer in Hong Kong
- Advising a lending bank on a US$2.3 billion swap arrangement with a leading sovereign wealth fund secured over a number of Cayman private equity and head fund interests
- Advising a government authority on its investment in various offshore funds
- Advising a leading U.S. based private equity firm on the set up of a joint venture with the asset management arm of a PRC state-owned bank
- Advising a joint venture (between a top Swiss bank and a PRC asset manager) on its set up of various investment funds with a focus the global debt securities and structured notes market
- Advising a top PRC asset manager on its set up of feeder funds investing into certain PRC exchange listed funds
- Advising a Hong Kong listed issuer on its US$110 million investment in a Cayman Islands SPC fund
- Advising a top PRC asset manager on the set up of a global listed securities fund with a China SOE as the sole investor
- Advising a leading PRC asset manager on the set up of a pre-IPO fund with asset management arm of a PRC state-owned bank as the sole investor
- Advising a leading investment bank on its maiden fund set up with a strategy focusing on non-index linked asset classes
- Advising a HKSE Main Board issuer on the set up of a Cayman Islands partnership as part of their internal reorganisation
- Advising a Hong Kong Main Board issuer on its set up of a Cayman partnership investing in PRC properties
- Advising a Hong Kong listed issuer on its set up of a wine fund
Maggie is recognised as one of the top ten offshore lawyers operating in Asia.Asian Legal Business (Offshore Client Choice List), 2018
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2014
- New Zealand
- New South Wales
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- British Virgin Islands
- The University of Auckland (BCom/LLB Conjoint)